Salt Lake City, UT — The LD wording committee has released the final 17 topics being considered for the 2016-2017 list. The final list will be narrowed to 10. The committee is seeking input from students and coaches on a.) which of these 17 topics should make the final list and b.) and wording issues that can/should be correct.
- In the United States, national service ought to be compulsory.
- The United States has a moral obligation to adopt a single payer health care system.
- The United States government ought to curtail the Commander-in-Chief powers of the President.
- Capital punishment is immoral.
- The United States ought to expand free trade with foreign nations.
- A government’s sponsorship of gambling to raise revenue is unjust.
- Civil rights ought to be prioritized over national security.
8 In the United States, public colleges and universities ought not prohibit speech protected by the Constitution.
- The United States ought to limit qualified immunity for police officers.
- The United States ought to guarantee the right to housing.
- Employees ought to have a civil right to unionize.
- The United States should accede to the International Criminal Court.
- The United States ought to end its provision of arms to foreign military organizations.
- A just government ought to abolish intellectual property protections for genetic resources.
- In the United States, public colleges and universities ought to be tuition-free.
- Non-human animals ought to be recognized as legal persons.
- The United States ought to further incentivize the use of renewable energy sources.